Monday, December 8, 2014

BRHS National Honor Society Hosts Blood Drive!

Big Rapids High School’s National Honor Society hosted its annual blood drive last week on December 5th. Community members and BRHS students and staff had the opportunity to give blood.

Most people, kids in particular do not like getting poked with a needle or seeing blood makes them squeamish. Why do High school students give blood?  When asked, here are some of their responses; "I want to make a difference", "to give back", "because I have the choice to do so", "the snacks are great",  "It gives hope to people", "It gets me out of class", "the blood supply is low" and "if I need it I want there to be some available for me".

NHS collected 33 units of blood, which were just 3 short of our goal. Considering this was an early release Friday we had an hour and a half less than we usually would have had, it was really successful.

Pictured: Corinne Marsh giving blood, Gina Weaver, Renae Lyon, and Staci Kitelinger waiting to give blood